The Oakland City web address is: The City is segmented into Districts, as outlined on this map. The North Hills community crosses two districts, District 1 and District 4. Live and repeat coverage of City Council and Council Committee meetings is available at KTOP (Channel 10 Comcast)…., and online at

For more   information about the City Council (minutes, video, schedules, etc.), click here.

Who to call

  • Public Works maintains its own helpful webpage, and list of helpful phone numbers

If you need help from the City of Oakland for other matters, call the Oaklanders Assistance Center at 510-444-CITY (510-444-2489). It is located at 1 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, First Floor, Room 123, Oakland, CA 94612. If the Oaklanders Assistance Center cannot help, contact Councilmember Dan Kalb’s office at 238-7001. His Hills representative is Olga Bolotina at 238-7240.

For Illegally Parked Cars, call Parking Enforcement at 238-3099 during business hours.

For Parking kiosk problems: call 238-3099 during working hours. This number rings at the enforcement dispatchers desk and is answered from 8:30 AM to 12:00 Noon and from 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday. All other times a voice message can be left.

Blight, Dumping, Construction Site/Contractor Problems

The City of Oakland’s ‘crime and grime’ efforts have put a priority on responding to complaints and tips about illegal dumping, blight, abandoned construction sites or contractors operating unsafely or illegally. Here are the numbers to call:

For construction site blight (trash or debris at a private property construction site), illegal parking at the job site, abandoned construction sites and/or other related complaints: 238-3381

Here is the most efficient way to get the city to act:

  1. Call the number above early in the morning. Be sure you speak to a real person.
  2. Make your complaint and ask for a case number. This is important.
  3. Wait two or three days. Call back (early in the morning is the best time to get a real person.) Give them the case number and ask its status. They will read to you from their computer log what has happened.
  4. Ask for the name and phone number of the inspector who has been assigned to the case.
  5. Call this inspector between 8-9:30 in the morning and inquire about the issue.
  6. If you feel the issue is not being resolved, as the inspector the name of his/her supervisor. Call the supervisor.
  7. If you still feel you are getting no action, summarize all your conversations and contacts with city staff and send a letter to the city’s Building Official:

Building Official

City of Oakland
250 Frank Ogawa Plaza
Oakland CA 94612

Follow up with the Building Official’s office a few days after sending the letter. If you still get no action, then contact Councilmember Dan Kalb’s office 238-7001. Be prepared to detail your actions to date.

View the City of Oakland’s blight ordinance: CLICK HERE

For illegal dumping or trash on public property, call Litter Enforcement 434-5101

View the city’s Keep Oakland Beautiful web page: CLICK HERE

For Illegal Dumping locations, send an email to Litter Enforcement Officers: 
(Be as detailed as possible, photos help.)

For Police Emergencies, dial 777-3211 and for non-emergencies dial 777-3333 (hit 0 to skip the greeting)

Posted in Resources.