Blight, Dumping, Construction Site and Contractor Problems
The City of Oakland’s ‘crime and grime’ efforts have put a priority on responding to complaints and tips about illegal dumping, blight, abandoned construction sites or contractors operating unsafely or illegally. Here is the number to call:
For construction site blight (trash or debris at a private property construction site), illegal parking at the job site, abandoned construction sites and/or other related complaints: 238-3381
Here is the most efficient way to get the city to act:
- Call the number above early in the morning. Be sure you speak to a real person.
- Make your complaint and ask for a case number. This is important.
- Wait two or three days. Call back (early in the morning is the best time to get a real person.) Give them the case number and ask its status. They will read to you from their computer log what has happened.
- Ask for the name and phone number of the inspector who has been assigned to the case.
- Call this inspector between 8-9:30 in the morning and inquire about the issue.
- If you feel the issue is not being resolved, as the inspector the name of his/her supervisor. Call the supervisor.
- If you still feel you are getting no action, summarize all your conversations and contacts with city staff and send a letter to the city’s Building Official
City of Oakland
250 Frank Ogawa Plaza
Oakland CA 94612
Follow up with the Building Official’s office a few days after sending the letter. If you still get no action, then contact Councilmember Dan Kalb’s office 238-7001. Be prepared to detail your actions to date.